Sunday, January 9, 2011

Making the Choice and the Tomato Complex

We live in a world full of choices. Spend one minute in the toothpaste aisle and you will be overwhelmed by just how many choices we have: eliminate bad breath, whiten, the kind with baking soda, the kind with sparkles, the kind with flavor bursts, red, blue, green, white... I just need toothpaste!

I can only speak in regards to life as a United Statesian (as this is the only country in which I have ever lived), when I say we are pretty much presented with choices at birth. Ok, maybe not birth, but well before speaking age we are given chances to pick between this and that. I witnessed this when my older sister presented my niece with two jars of baby food and asked, “Which one do you want?” My niece was unable to speak, but I watched as my sister held out both jars and waited for some indication - whether it be a coo, a pointed index finger, a laugh, anything. My niece, without the ability to walk, talk, or wipe herself, was already making her own choices.

From there it continues. Do you want to wear the jacket or the sweater? Steak or fish? New car, used car, or no car? College or no college? Have that eighth beer or make logical decisions? (Although sometimes the eighth beer is logical - and that’s called a paradox). Get to work on-time or hit snooze again, and again, and again? Do I “go to the restroom” or see this bad date ALL the way through?

So we make our choices. Sometimes they’re right, sometimes they’re wrong - but you have to make one. This, finally, brings me to the point of this post: If you don’t like it one way, try it another. Make a different choice, see another perspective, see past the obvious, and question the possibilities. This all sounds complicated and too-philosophical-for-my-own-good. It’s not. Let me break it down to what I call...

The Tomato Complex.

Tomatoes are one of the most versatile fruits on the planet. Yet still, so many people are quick to say, “I hate tomatoes.” Do you really hate tomatoes, or are you making the wrong tomato choice?

Consider salsa. Mostly tomatoes. Chips and salsa are undoubtedly in the hierarchy of most-amazing-foods-ever. Then there’s spaghetti. I absolutely despise tomato based pasta sauces. One of my favorite sandwiches - the BLT - and you guessed it, that “T” doesn’t stand for tangerine. The main ingredient in ketchup isn’t “red stuff” - it is indeed tomatoes.

Can I honestly say I LOVE or HATE tomatoes? That is quite the blanketed statement. I can only make the best tomato choice that’s in my power, and if I don’t like it one way... I will try it another.

Therefore my happy reader(s), I compel you to do the same. Make your choices, be merry, or make another freaking choice. There is always an alternative. A different point of view. Twists and turns. Life is full of them. However, I can tell you right now, contentment IS the WRONG choice. So please avoid at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment