Thursday, June 2, 2011

Too much to think about

Our minds are full of crap. Too full.

I’ll tell you how I know.

When I get ready in the morning I brush my teeth. (I hope you do, too.) There I go - toothpaste, water, not always in that order.

I start brushing for about ten seconds before it happens...my mind falls into this unstoppable stream of consciousness.

“I should turn off the coffee pot...Oh the trash stinks, I’m going to take that out...I need to check my email first...Ugh, I need to find my flipflops...I better not forget to put a stamp on that birthday card...”

Next thing I know I have spent nine minutes doing odd tasks around the house with a toothbrush dangling from my mouth. It isn’t until I’m fishing stamps out of the drawer before I realize I was supposed to be brushing my teeth.

Did I even really brush my teeth? Or did I just walk about chewing on a toothbrush until my mouth filled with foam? I had more than one cavity during my last visit to the dentist. Your guess is as good as mine.

I refer to this phenomenon as mind clutter, and it happens all the time.

You go to put your jacket away in the closet and before you know it you’re doing dishes and calling your friend to tell her about that thing you heard about and start marinating the chicken for tomorrow night and looking up directions to that new restaurant because you didn’t buy the discount GPS and you have to write out directions like an old-school schmuck but you have to check groupon deals first incase you can score some discount dance classes and...wait, why am I wearing my jacket?

We multitask while we multitask.

The funny part, (and by funny I mean sad), is that technology has been evolving to provide us with more convenience. On a scale of one to Justin Bieber, we climbed away from kerosene lamps and horse buggies to microchips and frozen pizza at an ultra-Bieber pace.

Think of laundry. Could you imagine having to make time for pumping water and washboards? We throw everything in the machine and pray for the day when someone thinks of a way to fold the laundry for us. How about building a fire to cook? A FIRE. Try lighting a fire in your fireplace without an accelerant and let’s see just how much time you have to spare.

We have our cell phones and emails, combustion engines and online ticketing. In our search for convenience we’ve kept piling more tasks onto our plate. Our minds race in a million directions and before you know it, it’s 11pm and you’re suppose to lay down long enough to sleep??? Yeah, right.

Between the carpool schedules, the complicated appetizer you promised to make for that party on Friday, having to get the oil changed and planning that vacation you were supposed to take two years ago...

...when do you stop to breathe?

We get so caught up in our own worlds, we forget about the world in which we exist.

When was the last time you looked at the stars and remembered just how magnificent the night is?

When was the last time you were grateful you knew how to read, and remembered the millions of children who will never hold a book?

When was the last time you felt the shoes on your feet, and forgot about the fashion statement and realized just how lucky you are?

When was the last time you bashed and argued about the government, the President, and appreciated being able to have a voice?

Sometimes I catch myself - like when I brush my teeth - and I realize just how caught up I am in the Hectic Insignificant Pace and What Does It Matter?

I hope you can read this and find some truth. I hope you are able to reach through the chaos and mile-a-minute nature of everyday and enjoy the little things. The starry skies and political jokes.

Our minds are full of crap. Too full. We are so busy trying to fit everything in we forget to live.

I wish I knew the remedy…because next week there will be another iAwesome thing out and everyone will again forget about the problems of the world. There is so much mind clutter I’m not sure how we’ll ever catch up and “fit” everything in we’re supposed to fit in.

Is there an app for brushing your teeth? I could use that.

No comments:

Post a Comment